The historical Union County Carnegie Library is one of fourteen libraries in South Carolina built by the Carnegie Corporation. It is the oldest of the Carnegie Libraries and only one of five that is still in active use as a public library.
The project consisted of three phases of construction: restoration, renovation and upfit.
The original library built in 1905 was restored to include wood floors, wood trim, wall and ceiling plaster, as well as a tin ceiling. The 1986 addition to the original library was renovated on its upper level to include new restrooms, offices, conference rooms and a book area. The library's lower level was renovated with new plumbing for restrooms, meeting areas, and offices that focus on services for youth and young adults with the development of an early learning center. The lower level also features a slide, an accessible family restroom, and a nursing mothers’ room.
To link the upper and lower levels, a new stair case and elevator were added. Exterior improvements were also performed to include additional and better access to the building. The columns in the interior of the building are designed to look like trees to celebrate the Sumter National Forest in Union, SC.
Union County Carnegie Library was a 2019 Finalist for the National Medal for Museums & Library Service. Find out more here.