Built in 1891, Pell Hall serves as one of the dormitories for Converse College. Harper completed the extensive renovation of the Pell Hall Dormitory, a 22,505 SF structure with 75 beds. Harper preserved as much of the historical structure as possible, including railings, posts, and original tongue and groove pine floors.
Harper performed the extensive renovation of two dormitories - Pell Hall and Dexter Hall - that were built in 1891 on the Converse College campus. A new Central Energy Plant was installed in both dorms.
Pell Hall is a 22,505 SF structure with 75 beds. The entire building was stripped down to the studs, revealing historical details such as arched brick doorways, hardwood floors, ceiling beams, and wallpaper that was painted and stamped by hand. The main stairwell revealed original bead board that extended to the first floor hallway. Harper reconstructed the stairwell in order to preserve this historical detail that now includes the original railings, posts, and stringers. New chair-rail and baseboards were designed specifically to match the hand-crafted work from 1891. In addition, the original tongue and groove pine floors were refinished.
For this project, over one month was specifically spent on masonry restoration between Pell Hall and West Wilson, the main hall of the campus. In order to preserve the structural integrity of the wall, bricks were moved by hand and new masonry was soaked for seven days.
Dexter Hall is a 25,000 SF structure with 85 beds. The exteriors of both buildings have been restored to meet historical standards.