Spartanburg County School District 7 selected Harper to serve as the Construction Manager At-Risk for the construction of their new elementary school, Drayton Mills Elementary. During the design phase, Harper met regularly with the Project Team to provide input and analysis, empowering District 7 to make informed decisions concerning the final design of the building. Harper collaborated effectively with District 7 and its Design Partners throughout the 14-month timeframe to complete design.
- Performed two budget exercises as the design matured.
- Explored a variety of options relating to systems, exterior cladding, and finish materials. This provided information related to first-time costs, durability, energy efficiency, and life cycle costs.
- Created and maintained the Master Schedule outlining key activities for design, pricing exercises, permitting, owner decisions, and construction.
- Coordinated with utility providers to formalize a plan with design engineers for the removal of existing services and the provision of new services to feed the school.
- Performed additional exploration of the existing site conditions to better plan for the final grading design to mitigate costs for rock, unsuitable soils and excess top soil.
- Performed value management exercises to promote better value with minimal impact to overall design intent and result in more cost-effective solutions.
- Completed pricing and agreed upon the final Guaranteed Maximum Price.
When the project moved into construction, Harper’s field team exercised strong leadership with a team of qualified trade partners to successfully complete the project on time and in budget. Harper engaged in key actions to produce the desired outcome for District 7:
- Managed the procurement and execution of an early site preparation package to meet the schedule requirement as the building design documents were completed.
- Conducted regularly scheduled Owner-Architect-Contractor Meetings (OAC) to promote alignment and clarity.
- Provided regular updates concerning costs and schedule.
- Effectively managed changes to the scope of the work securing accurate and competitive costs from vendors and trade partners. Presented information in a professional manner so that owner and design professionals could properly vet costs.
- Coordinated the efforts of the owner supplied systems and materials effectively with the overall construction schedule.
- Managed work adjacent to the school campus including DOT work on Skylyn Drive and the construction of a loop road constructed to county specifications.
- Produced a successful outcome for District 7.